This corner building, built in 1928 with a clinker brick façade on the street side and a rendered façade on the courtyard side, is a typical brick architecture in solid construction. With its cornices enclosing the windows, the perforated façade is horizontally structured and creates the optical impression of ribbon windows.
The façade renovation was carried out with consideration for the historic appearance. Instead of replacing the damaged clinker bricks across the board, the varied irregularities could be retained through careful restoration.
In the course of the restoration of the concrete cornices, new zinc sheet profiles were laid.
In addition to the measures on the surface, the residential building was also renovated in terms of energy, whereby the building envelope was to be considered as a component in its entirety. All windows on the street and courtyard façades were replaced with new energy-efficient window frames and the reveals were insulated to prevent condensation and mould.
The improvement of the living quality and the upgrading of the property could be achieved by seven new balconies, which were realised on the courtyard side as a prefabricated steel frame construction. After demolishing the existing parapets, new energy-efficient balcony doors were placed in the enlarged openings and exchanged for the old windows. The access to the balconies as a floor-to-ceiling window element additionally brings more light into the respective common rooms.
All measures were carried out in occupied condition and in close coordination with the owner and tenants. Detailed planning, energetic thermal bridge calculation, as well as tendering and construction management are led by bfl | Architekten.
Energy consulting and renovation
Service phases 1-7: Arnaud Bauman
Service phase 8: Norbert Freitag, Sándor Kotyrba
Construction time: 2020-2021